Note: This section summarizes the temporary changes implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic that are of interest to interstate suppliers. The following regulatory relief measures have been announced by the California ABC: 17.7.1 Curbside Sales and Delivery Off-premises sale of manufacturer-sealed containers. Licensees with on-sale privileges may sell the alcoholic beverages permitted by their license type for off-sale consumption, in manufacturer pre-packaged containers, regardless of any condition on their license to the contrary and regardless of the statutory prohibition against on-sale licensees selling distilled spirits for off-sale consumption. Off-premises sale of restaurant-sealed containers. Restaurants may sell beer, wine, and pre-mixed drinks or cocktails for consumption off the licensed premises in conjunction with meals prepared for pick-up or delivery. Any such[…]

Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control 3927 Lennane Drive, Suite 100 Sacramento, California 95834 916-419-2500 (phone, Information) 916-419-2530 (phone, Licensing) 916-419-2579 (phone, Trade Enforcement) 916-419-2599 (fax) CA Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) (Sales and Excise Taxes) P.O. Box 942879 MIC: 88 Sacramento, CA 94279-0088 800-400-7115, or 916-445-6464 (phone) 916-445-1990 (fax) Secretary of State 1500 11th Street Sacramento, California 95814 916-653-6814 (phone, General Information) 916-653-3595 (phone, Notary Division) 916-653-3516 (phone, UCC Section)

15.8.1 Product Samples to Retailers Permitted under the following conditions: All samples of distilled spirits and wine products must have stamped on the brand label the words “Sample-not for sale,” in letters not less than one-quarter inch (¼”) high. Samples may be given only to licensees, their employees or agents who can purchase the kind of alcoholic beverage given. Samples may be given only to licensees who have not previously purchased the product being sampled. The purpose of the sampling must be to permit the licensee, its agent or employee to determine the grade, type, and quality of the product sampled. Only one (1) sample of each type may be given at one time. Maximum sizes are as follows: Wine[…]

No statutory or regulatory provisions for wine or distilled spirits. However, there is a beer franchise law, and it provides that any beer supplier that unreasonably withholds consent, or unreasonably denies approval of a sale, transfer or assignment of any ownership interest in a beer wholesaler’s business, will be liable for damages to the beer wholesaler. Recoverable damages under this section shall not exceed compensatory damages sustained by the wholesaler and its costs relating to the suit. Fair market value of a beer wholesaler’s business shall include, but is not limited to, any goodwill. If the beer wholesaler was paid consideration by a successor wholesaler for the sale, transfer or assignment of the wholesaler’s interest in the sale or distribution[…]

2.1 Company Licenses/Permits in General Note: Refer to section 14, Direct Shipments To Consumers and/or Retailers for information regarding permits for direct shipment to consumers (wine only). Licenses are required and licenses are valid for a period of one (1) year. In the past, all licenses were valid from July 1 through June 30. The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control now staggers renewals throughout the year. The Department usually mails renewal notices approximately sixty (60) days in advance of the expiration date. The type(s) of license(s) required is dependent upon the activities of the company and it is possible that more than a single type of license is required. The Department should be contacted to determine what license(s) may be[…]

15.7.1 General Guidelines Wine, beer, and distilled spirits may be donated or sold to a bona fide non-profit charitable, fraternal, trade, service or similar organization as defined below and under the conditions noted. Under subdivision (a) of the law, the supplier licensees that may give or sell at prices other than those contained in schedules filed with the Department and the products they may provide are: winegrower, a beer and wine wholesaler that also holds an off-sale beer and wine retail license and only sells wine, or the holder of a limited off-sale retail wine license from giving or selling wine, a beer manufacturer from giving or selling beer, a craft distiller, a distilled spirits manufacturer, rectifier, or a distilled[…]

14.1 Direct Sales and Shipments to Consumers Note: When shipping wine to California consumers, the warning requirements of California’s Proposition 65 apply. See Subsection 14.5, Proposition 65 Requirements, below for details. Under California law it is permissible to ship wine only directly to California residents under the guidelines listed below. Note: This privilege extends to wine only. There are no provisions that would permit the direct shipment of any other class of alcoholic beverages directly to California residents by either in-state or out-of-state suppliers. Note: A strict reading of the statute indicates that California winegrowers also must obtain a Wine Direct Shipper Permit and follow all of the guidelines set forth for non-California winegrowers. However, the Department of Alcoholic Beverage[…]

17.4.1 Return of wine By Retailers For restrictions, refer to Division 9, Chapter 2, Section 23104.1, of California Business and Professions Code. 17.4.2 Return of Distilled Spirits By Retailers For restrictions, refer to Division 9, Chapter 2, Section 23104.3, of California Business and Professions Code. 17.4.3 Return of Malt Beverages By Retailers For restrictions refer to Division 9, Chapter 2, Section 23104.2 of California Business and Profession Code.

16.10.1 Advertising Purchased From or on Behalf of a Retailer: Wine and Malt Beverages Only The California legislature enacted legislation that would allow the holder of a California Beer Manufacturer’s license or a California Winegrower’s license to purchase advertising space and/or time from, or on behalf of, an on-sale licensee. This is subject to certain conditions, and the on-sale licensee must fall into one of the categories listed below: On-sale licensee must be the owner of an outdoor stadium or a fully enclosed arena with fixed seating capacity over ten thousand (10,000) seats and located in a county of the eighth class. Refer to section 28029 of the Government Code for the definition of a county of the eighth class.[…]