Suppliers are required to notify the Alcoholic Beverages Division (ABD) electronically a minimum of thirty (30) days prior to the first day of the month in which the allowance is in effect. The effective month, NABCA code, item description, size and the amount offered off of the case cost must be included. Price changes should be divisible down to the unit level (bottle, sleeve, etc.) without rounding. Price changes should be based on the unit rather than the case. For example, if offering a $12.00 per case allowance, this is divisible down to $1.00 per 12 bottle case and is acceptable. An $8.00 per case offering on a 12 bottle case would not be acceptable, because $8.00 is not divisible[…]

Note: This section summarizes the temporary changes implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic that are of interest to interstate suppliers. 17.7.1 Curbside Sales and Delivery Bars, restaurants, and other alcohol retailers holding class “C” liquor licenses are allowed to sell alcoholic liquor and wine in original, unopened containers for carry-out, curb-side pickup, drive-through, or home delivery without obtaining an additional license, permit, or privilege. Class “C” liquor licensees already have the authority to sell beer in original, unopened containers for off-premises consumption.  Breweries, brewpubs and beer retailers may fill and sell growlers or crowlers of beer to-go without requiring an in-person sales transaction; growlers/crowlers can be filled at the time that a telephone or online order is placed and payment[…]

Department of Commerce Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division 1918 S.E. Hulsizer Road Ankeny, Iowa 50021 515-281-7400, then press 1 (phone) 866-469-2223 (toll free phone) 515-281-7375 (Licensing fax) 515-281-7385 (Products fax) Secretary of State First Floor, Lucas Building 321 E. 12 St. Des Moines, Iowa 50319 515-281-5204 (phone) 515-242-5953 (fax)

Establishments holding a Class C Liquor License, Class B Liquor License, Special Class C Liquor license, or Class B Beer Permit may fill, refill, and sell beer in a container other than the original container, otherwise known as a growler. (A “growler” is defined as any fillable and sealable glass, ceramic, plastic, aluminum or stainless steel container designed to hold only beer or high alcohol content beer. ) Growlers may be filled at the time of sale in the licensed premises or when sold by telephonic or electronic means. Growlers of beer may be filled or refilled only with beer from an original container that has been obtained from a licensed Iowa wholesaler. The contents may not be consumed on[…]

Donations by upper tier industry members appear to be prohibited by Section 123.44 of the Iowa Law which states in part as follows: “A manufacturer or broker shall not give away alcoholic liquor at any time in connection with the manufacturer’s or broker’s business except for testing or sampling purposes only…” Non-profit organizations may obtain a Charity Auction Permit or a Charity Event Permit and all product sold or served at such events must be obtained from a licensed retailer. [IA Law, Title IV, Chapter 123, Division V, Sections 123.173A, 123.173B.] Industry members are prohibited from giving or furnishing retail licensees with money, services, or other things of value (including equipment, fixtures and furnishings) in conjunction with a community, civic,[…]

14.1 Direct Sales and Shipments to Consumers and Retailers Direct shipments of wine only are permitted. Refer to the IOWA OPEN Digest for specific details. 14.2 Delivery by Retailers 14.2.1 On-Premise Retailers On-premise retailers (bars, taverns, and restaurants) may sell liquor, wine, beer, and mixed drinks for off-premises consumption. Mixed drinks or cocktails must be immediately sealed with a lid or other method of securing the product and removed promptly from the licensed premises. A mixed drink or cocktail that is sold and sealed in compliance with the requirements shall not be deemed an open container subject to the requirements of Sections 321.284 and 321.284A, if the sealed container is unopened and the seal has not been tampered with, and[…]

2.1 Company Licenses/Permits A Distillers Certificate of Compliance is required. It is renewable annually, one (1) year from date of issuance. The fee is $50.00. [IA Law, Title IV, Subtitle 1, Chapter 123, Section 123.23.] 2.2 Sales Representative Licenses 2.2.1 Sales Representative Each sales representative, consultant, etc., must be registered with the Alcoholic Beverages Division, and each registered person is issued a registration card with the person’s name, address and registration number. Registration of sales representatives is part of the company licensing process, and the fee of $50.00 referred to in Subsection 2.1 above covers all registrations for a supplier except for a broker registration. A representative may represent more than one supplier at the same time. [IA Regulations, Title[…]

Industry members may package and distribute alcoholic liquor, wine, beer, or canned cocktail in combination with other non-alcoholic items or products, provided that the items have no secondary value to the retailer other than having the potential of attracting purchasers and promoting sales. The combination package must be designed to be delivered intact to the consumer and the additional cost incurred by the industry member shall be included in the cost to the retailers. [IA Regulations, Title 185, Chapter 16, Section 185-16.11(123).] Note: Industry members selling alcoholic liquor to the Alcoholic Beverages Division must comply with the Division’s policies regarding combination packaging.

Industry members may not loan, give, rent or sell furniture, fixtures or equipment to retail licensees except for tapping accessories and carbon dioxide which must be sold to retail license at not less than the industry member’s laid-in cost. In addition, industry members are prohibited from obtaining these items for retail licensees from a third party at a special price. [IA Regulations, Title 185, Chapter 16, Section 185-16.6(123).] Distilled spirits, wine, beer, and canned cocktails may not be sold from vending machines. [IA Law, Title IV, Subtitle 1, Chapter 123, Sections 123.21, 123.7 and 123.49.]

15.11.1 Stocking, Rotation, Price Marking, Merchandising/Resets Industry members may affix prices to alcoholic liquor, wine, beer, or canned cocktails sold by the industry member at the time of delivery, provided the retailer independently determines the price. Industry members may build product displays either at the time of delivery or at other times. Industry members may not reset or rearrange another industry member’s products without the explicit consent of the retailer. An industry member is prohibited from removing any other industry member’s point-of-sale advertising matter. [IA Regulations, Title 185, Chapter 16, Section 185-16.14(123).] CAUTION: Review Title 27 CFR Part 6.99 of the federal regulations to ensure that no violation occurs. 15.11.2 Slotting Allowances Prohibited. Industry members may not, directly or indirectly,[…]