Note: This section summarizes the temporary changes implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic that are of interest to interstate suppliers. 17.7.1 Curbside Sales and Delivery Bars, restaurants, and other alcohol retailers holding class “C” liquor licenses are allowed to sell alcoholic liquor and wine in original, unopened containers for carry-out, curb-side pickup, drive-through, or home delivery without obtaining an additional license, permit, or privilege. Class “C” liquor licensees already have the authority to sell beer in original, unopened containers for off-premises consumption.  Breweries, brewpubs and beer retailers may fill and sell growlers or crowlers of beer to-go without requiring an in-person sales transaction; growlers/crowlers can be filled at the time that a telephone or online order is placed and payment[…]

Department of Commerce Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division 1918 S.E. Hulsizer Road Ankeny, Iowa 50021 515-281-7400, then press 1 (phone) 866-469-2223 (toll free phone) 515-281-7375 (Licensing fax) 515-281-7385 (Products fax) Secretary of State First Floor, Lucas Building 321 E. 12 St. Des Moines, Iowa 50319 515-281-5204 (phone) 515-242-5953 (fax)

Donations by upper tier industry members appear to be prohibited by Section 123.44 of the Iowa Law which states in part as follows: “A manufacturer or broker shall not give away alcoholic liquor at any time in connection with the manufacturer’s or broker’s business except for testing or sampling purposes only…” Non-profit organizations may obtain a Charity Auction Permit or a Charity Event Permit and all product sold or served at such events must be obtained from a licensed retailer. [IA Law, Title IV, Chapter 123, Division V, Sections 123.173A, 123.173B.] Industry members are prohibited from giving or furnishing retail licensees with money, services, or other things of value (including equipment, fixtures and furnishings) in conjunction with a community, civic,[…]

14.1 Direct Sales and Shipments to Consumers A wine manufacturer licensed in Iowa or another state may apply for a Wine Direct Shipper Permit to make sales and shipments directly to Iowa residents of legal drinking age as set forth below. A “wine manufacturer” is defined as a person or entity that processes fruits or other agricultural products into wine by the process of fermentation. An application must be submitted along with copies of the applicant’s state license or permit and federal basic permit. The initial and annual renewal license fee is $25.00. A $5,000.00 bond is required. Wine may be shipped only to Iowa residents of legal drinking age and must be for personal consumption only and not for[…]

Establishments holding a Class C Liquor License, Class B Liquor License, Special Class C Liquor license, or Class B Beer Permit may fill, refill, and sell beer in a container other than the original container, otherwise known as a growler. (A “growler” is defined as any fillable and sealable glass, ceramic, plastic, aluminum or stainless steel container designed to hold only beer or high alcohol content beer. ) Growlers may be filled at the time of sale in the licensed premises or when sold by telephonic or electronic means. Growlers of beer may be filled or refilled only with beer from an original container that has been obtained from a licensed Iowa wholesaler. The contents may not be consumed on[…]

2.1 Company Licenses/Permits Note: Refer to Section 14, Direct Shipments to Consumers and/or Retailers for more details (wine only). 2.1.1 Wine A Vintners Certificate of Compliance is required. The certificate is renewable annually, one (1) year from date of issuance. New applications and renewals are required to be submitted electronically. Applicants must have an authorized agent for service of process within Iowa. The fee is $100.00. [IA Law, Title IV, Subtitle 1, Chapter 123, Section 123.180.] 2.1.2 Malt Beverages A Brewers Certificate of Compliance is required. The certificate is renewable annually, one (1) year from date of issuance. Renewals are required to be submitted electronically. The fee is $500.00. [IA Law, Title IV, Subtitle 1, Chapter 123, Section 123.135.] Note:[…]

Industry members may package and distribute alcoholic liquor, wine, beer, or canned cocktails in combination with other non-alcoholic items or products, provided that the items have no secondary value to the retailer other than having the potential of attracting purchasers and promoting sales. The combination package must be designed to be delivered intact to the consumer and the additional cost incurred by the industry member shall be included in the cost to the retailers. [IA Regulations, Title 185, Chapter 16, Section 185-16.11(123).] Note: Industry members who sell alcoholic liquor to the Alcoholic Beverages Division must comply with the Division’s policies regarding combination packaging.

15.11.1 Stocking, Rotation, Price Marking, Merchandising/Resets Industry members may affix prices to alcoholic liquor, wine, beer, or canned cocktails sold by the industry member at the time of delivery, provided the retailer independently determines the price. Industry members may build product displays either at the time of delivery or at other times. Industry members may not reset or rearrange another industry member’s products without the explicit consent of the retailer. An industry member is prohibited from removing any other industry member’s point-of-sale advertising matter. [IA Regulations, Title 185, Chapter 16, Section 185-16.14(123).] CAUTION: Review Title 27 CFR Part 6.99 of the federal regulations to ensure that no violation occurs. 15.11.2 Slotting Allowances Prohibited. Industry members may not, directly or indirectly,[…]

Samples of alcoholic beverages may be furnished to consumers of legal drinking age under the following guidelines: Regardless of whether the tasting is conducted by an upper tier industry member or a retail licensee, the following restrictions on the amount served apply. Wine Not more than two (2) one ounce (1 oz.) samples Distilled Spirits Not more than two (2) one-half ounce (1/2 oz.) samples Beer or High Alcohol Beer Not more than two (2) two ounce (2 oz.) samples Mixed Drinks/Cocktails Not more than two (2) two ounce (2 oz.) samples Product may not be served by anyone under eighteen (18) years of age. Product may not be served to anyone under twenty-one (21) years of age. Product may[…]

An industry member may provide samples of alcoholic liquor, wine, beer or canned cocktails to a retailer who has not previously purchased the brand from that industry member during the preceding twelve (12) months, provided that the quantities do not exceed the following: Beer, high alcohol content beer, or canned cocktails three (3) gallons Wine three (3) liters Alcoholic liquor five hundred (500) milliliters Product must be obtained from an Iowa licensed wholesaler, and containers of products used for sampling must be clearly marked as “SAMPLE”. Records of all samples given to retail licensees must be maintained in accordance with Title 185, Section Chapter 16.18(123), which requires that records of all items provided to retail licensees must be maintained for[…]