14.1 Direct Sales and Shipments to Consumers Refer to the MICHIGAN OPEN Digest for direct shipping guidelines for wine. There are no provisions that would allow direct shipment of distilled spirits or malt beverages to Michigan consumers or retail licensees. 14.2 Delivery by Retailers 14.2.1 Wine 14.3.1 Off-Premises Retailers A Michigan retail licensee holding a specially designated merchant license may deliver wine to a consumer in any of the following ways: By common carrier By using its own employees By using a third-party delivery services to municipalities in Michigan that are surrounded by water and inaccessible by motor vehicle if the delivery service is approved by the Commission By use of a third-party facilitator service A Michigan retail licensee holding[…]

Note: This section summarizes the temporary changes implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic that are of interest to interstate suppliers. The Governor’s March 22, 2020 Executive Order required all businesses offering food and/or alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption to prohibit occupancy by the public, and encouraged them to offer food and beverage using delivery service, window service, walk-up service, drive-through service, or drive-up service. The restrictions imposed by this order do not apply to businesses that offer food and beverage not for on-premises consumption, including grocery stores, markets, convenience stores, pharmacies, drug stores, and food pantries. [Executive Order 2020-20 (COVID-19), Temporary Restrictions on the Use of Places of Public Accommodation, issued March 22, 2020.] On-premises and off-premises retailer licensees that[…]

15.9.1 Sampling Products Not Available For Sale in Michigan Samplings/tastings for commercial purposes may be held only on premises licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises. Prior written approval from the Liquor Control Commission is required. Once the Commission has been notified and approval received, an outstate seller of beer or wine, vendor of spirits, brewer, etc., or a bona fide market research organization retained by one of the above-named classes of licensees, may conduct samplings or tastings of an alcoholic liquor product before it is approved for sale in the state. “Commercial purpose” is defined as any purpose for which monetary gain or remuneration would be expected. Such on-premise product promotions may not include[…]

3.1 Product Approval Requirements Note: “Mixed spirit drinks” (spirits coolers) are sold through the private sector and are subject to the same product approval requirements as wines and malt beverages. Refer to the MICHIGAN OPEN Digest for details. 3.1.1 Listed Items All distilled spirits products sold to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission must be registered online through the MLCC’s E-Quote system. Contact the Commission for instructions on how to accomplish this. 3.1.2 Possible Listings All distilled spirits products sold to the Commission must be registered online. Detailed instructions can be found on the Commission’s website. In addition to submitting an E-Quote on-line for possible listing, it is also necessary to submit an empty sample bottle for the Commission’s review. If[…]

Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs (LARA) Liquor Control Commission Constitution Hall 525 W. Allegan Lansing, Michigan 48933 (Mailing Address) P. O. Box 30005 Lansing, MI 48909 (Overnight or Express Deliveries) 2407 N Grand River Ave Lansing, MI 48906 517-284-6250 or 866-813-0011 (phone) https://www.michigan.gov/lara Links for Further Research MI Compiled Laws MI Liquor Control Code and Related Rules (PDF from LARA)

Distilled spirits are sold only through the state-controlled system (except prepared mixed drinks with an alcohol content of up to 10% ABV). Michigan does not use the NABCA master coding system. The state assigns its own code numbers.

2.1 Company Licenses/Permits A company selling distilled spirits to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission is considered to be a “Vendor of Spirits.” However, no license is required to make sales to the Commission. Products must be registered with the Commission, price quotations filed, one or more Authorized Distribution Agent(s) (ADA) appointed contractually, and a Vendor Representative licensed to represent the company (as outlined in Subsection 2.2 below). [Michigan Liquor Control Commission website, accessed February 22, 2010.] 2.2 Sales Representative Licenses A Vendor Representative License is required. A “vendor representative” is the person authorized by a manufacturer to represent the manufacturer in transactions with the Commission. A vendor representative (or vendor of spirits) must possess a separate license for each manufacturer[…]

Sponsorships of festivals, tournaments and other events that involve the advertising of alcoholic beverages must have prior approval from the Liquor Control Commission. Approval will not be given for any sponsorship that involves payment to any retail licensee, including Special 24 Hour Licensees (licenses issued only to non-profit organizations), or any sponsorship promotion that directly benefits any retail licensee. [Michigan Liquor Control Commission website, accessed May 20, 2009.]