Note: This section summarizes the temporary changes implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic that are of interest to interstate suppliers. Bars are closed. Restaurants may remain open, serving food and beverages for carry-out, drive-through, and delivery only. Restaurant staff are not permitted to serve patrons indoors or in an outdoor seating area. Retail permittees may deliver beer and wine for off-premises consumption in the manufacturer’s original container to vehicles at a curb or a parking space adjacent to the licensed premises without requesting approval of extension of premises from the ABC Commission, while the Governor’s Executive Order remains in effect. State liquor stores are not required to close. ABC Local Boards may determine whether to keep the ABC stores in[…]

Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission 400 East Tryon Road Raleigh, North Carolina 27610 (Mailing Address) 4307 Mail Service Center Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4307 919-779-0700 (phone) 919-662-3583 (fax) Secretary of State Business Services 2 South Salisbury Street Raleigh, North Carolina 27601-2903 (Mailing Address) P. O. Box 29622 Raleigh, North Carolina 27626-0622 919-814-5400 (phone) 919-807-2039 (fax)

Permitted for distilled spirits only under the following conditions and with prior approval from the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission as described below. Refunds by a manufacturer, importer, distiller, rectifier or bottler of spirituous liquors may be offered only to purchasers of a manufacturer’s original, unopened container from a local Alcoholic Beverage Control store. The refund offer must apply throughout the state. The offer shall bear an expiration date, a statement explaining the refund procedure, and a statement that the person redeeming the refund must be at least 21 years of age. Refund may not be redeemed by a wholesale or retail permittee. The name of a retail business or a retail permittee may not appear on any refund offer, and[…]

No supplier or wholesaler may have any direct or indirect interest in a retail licensee or its premises. [NC Law, Chapter 18B, Article 11, Section 18B-1116; NC Regulations Title 14B, Subchapter 15C, Rule .0706.] A supplier or an officer, director, employee or affiliate of a supplier may not acquire, possess, or otherwise maintain an ownership interest in a wholesaler except as expressly authorized. The provisions which formerly allowed a supplier to assist the proposed purchaser of a wholesaler’s business have been repealed. [NC Law, Chapter 18B, Article 11, Section 18B-1119.] In addition, any person who is engaged in any manner in the manufacturing, rectifying, bottling or wholesaling of spirituous liquors cannot work on the premises of a mixed beverage permittee.[…]

Not applicable. The Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Commission uses the mark-up system shown below. Example (example shown is for a 750 ml bottle of distilled spirits, 12 bottles per case): Note: The same formula is used to mark up all sizes and proofs. FOB per case $151.52 Distiller’s price, incl. federal tax Bailment charge $1.50 State warehouse budget Subtotal case cost $153.02 Plus local ABC Board Markup $60.60 (39.6%) Subtotal $213.62 State excise tax $64.08 (30%) Additional Markup of 3.5% $7.48 Profit distribution Subtotal of case cost $285.177253 (Take out to 6 decimals) Bailment surcharge per case $1.15 State Commission budget Subtotal $286.3273 Divide by number of bottles in case (12) $23.8606 per bottle Add bottle charge $0.05 Rehabilitation Add[…]

Special allowances—or Special Price Adjustments (SPAs)—may be offered under the guidelines set forth below. Such allowances must be submitted on a form prescribed by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission. 6.1 Minimum amounts for SPAs Minimum Discount at Retail Eligible Size Delivered Price to North Carolina Warehouse * January- October November and December 1.75 L $0.00 and up $2.50 $4.00 750 ml $61.00 to 110.99 $2.00 $3.00 750 ml $ 111.00 and up $3.00 $3.50 * If the case configuration results in less than the standard number of bottles per case, the SPA can be adjusted accordingly; e.g., a 750 ml case holding only six (6) bottles instead of the standard twelve (12) bottles. 6.2 Guidelines for SPAs The Commission must[…]

Growlers of malt beverages and unfortified wine are allowed. 17.6.1 Pre-filled Growlers Holders of brewery permits and unfortified winery permits may pre-fill growlers. Pre-filled growlers must be labeled in accordance with the Commission’s rules, and label approval is required. Growlers pre-filled by manufacturers may be shipped to purchasers inside and outside the state. 17.6.2 Growlers filled on demand Manufacturers and holders of on-sale and off-sale retail beer and unfortified wine permits and wine shop permits are allowed to fill/refill growlers on demand. Growlers filled on demand are required to be sanitized and labeled in accordance with the Commission rules and include the Government Warning required by Federal law and regulation. [NC Law, Chapter 18B, Article 10, Section 1001, Subparagraphs (1),[…]

Permitted. North Carolina law requires a wholesaler to service all retail permit holders within its designated territory without discrimination, and to make a good faith effort to make available any brand of wine or malt beverages the wholesaler is authorized to distribute in the territory. The statutes provide an explicit exception to this requirement for retail permit holder private label brands. [NC Law, Chapter 18B, Article 12, Section 18B-1203 and Article 13, Section 18B-1303.] An exception for retailer private label brands is also made in the labeling requirements for wine labels. Information normally required on the brand label of a wine may be stated on a separate label in the case of a retailer private label brand. [NC Regulations Title[…]

15.9.1 Sampling/Tasting for Consumers Note: Refer to the NORTH CAROLINA OPEN Digest for information relevant to consumer tastings of wine and malt beverages. The holder of a supplier representative permit, brokerage representative permit, or distillery permit may obtain a spirituous liquor special event permit allowing the permittee to give free tastings of its spirituous liquors at ABC stores where the local board has approved the tasting, trade shows, conventions, shopping malls, street festivals, holiday festivals, agricultural festivals, balloon races, local fund-raisers, and other similar events approved by the Commission. The following conditions apply: Samples shall be poured only by the permit holder or the permit holder’s employee or agent who is at least 21 years of age; Each consumer shall[…]

Distilled spirits are sold only through the state-controlled system. Fortified wine (with an alcohol content over 16% ABV but not more than 24% ABV) may also be sold through the state-controlled system. North Carolina does not use the NABCA master coding system. The state assigns its own code numbers.