Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages and Lottery Operations (BABLO) Division of Liquor Licensing and Enforcement 8 State House Station Augusta, Maine 04333-0008 (Mailing Address – overnight deliveries only) 10 Water Street Hallowell, Maine 04347 207-624-7220 (phone – liquor licensing) 207-287-3721 (phone – spirits operations) 207-287-3424 (fax) http://www.maine.gov/dafs/bablo/ maineliquor@maine.gov (email – liquor licensing) mainespirits@maine.gov (email – spirits operations) Maine Department of Environmental Protection Sustainability Division 17 State House Station 28 Tyson Drive Augusta, Maine 04333-0017 207-215-1579 (phone) 207-287-7826 (fax) http://www.maine.gov/dep/sustainability/bottlebill/index.html Label registration: http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/dep/bottlebill_portal/index

Note: This section summarizes the temporary changes implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic that are of interest to interstate suppliers. The following regulatory relief measures have been announced by the Maine Bureau of Alcohol Beverages and Lottery Operations (BABLO): 17.7.1 Curbside Sales and Delivery All restaurants and bars were required to close their dine-in facilities effective March 18, 2020 by the Maine Governor’s Executive Order 18 issued that day. The order stated that restaurants and bars that offer carry-out, delivery, and drive-through food and beverage service may continue to do so but eating and drinking inside restaurants and bars was temporarily prohibited. BABLO issued a memo to all industry members the same day, clarifying that the Executive Order permits the[…]

No person who is a member of the State Liquor Commission or an employee of the Commission, the Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages and Lottery Operations may have any connection, direct or indirect, with any alcoholic beverage licensee. This includes holding stock in a corporation interested directly or indirectly in the sale or manufacture of alcoholic beverages. [ME Law, Title 28-A, Part l, Chapter 3-A, Section 87.] Suppliers may not, directly or indirectly, or through any officer, director or stockholder, hold an interest of over one percent (1%) in the securities of any company holding a retail or wholesale license. Wholesale and retail licensees are also prohibited having from any direct or indirect financial interest in a supplier. [ME Law, Title[…]

Retail licensees may have no more than five (5) outside signs on or adjacent to their licensed premises advertising the sale of liquor or any brand of liquor. This limitation does not apply to signs showing the name of the licensed premises and an image accompanying the name of the licensed premises, or a brand name or image appearing on a patio umbrella in an outside seating area of the licensed premises. Signs on a licensed establishment advertising sponsorship of specific sporting and/or cultural events, or a transportation system for the public may be displayed with prior approval of the Bureau. Signs that advertise sponsorship and are not located on the licensed premises are not subject to the five sign[…]

The holder of a Maine Sales Representative License may participate in wine and distilled spirits tasting/sampling events under the following guidelines: Make a written or oral educational presentation related to the product(s) offered for tasting at the event as long as there is no charge to the retail licensee or consumers. Provide complimentary food or snacks in conjunction with the tasting as long as the total cost for the food and/or snacks does not exceed $200 per event. Any food remaining at the conclusion of the event must be removed from the licensee’s premises. Sales representative licensees are not permitted to pour product or distribute samples to consumers at a tasting event. A sales representative may purchase spirits for a[…]

Product donations may be made in the following cases: 15.7.1 Donations for Auction A certificate of approval holder, a manufacturer or supplier of spirits, or a wholesaler may donate a gift certificate to purchase its product or donate its product to a public broadcasting station, a municipal entity, or an incorporated civic organization or a similarly purposed national organization designated by the United States Internal Revenue Service under the United States Internal Revenue Code of 1986, Section 501(c)(3) for the purpose of an auction or to offer as a prize, gift or award in support of the purposes of the organization. Spirits donated must be listed by the Commission for sale in the state, clearly labeled as a donation, and[…]

Wine with an alcohol content of up to 24% ABV, malt beverages, and low-alcohol spirits products with an alcohol content of up to 8% ABV are sold through the private sector (wholesalers).

17.4.1 By Wholesalers Returns are permitted if product is defective. 17.4.2 By Retailers Returns are permitted if product is defective. Returns are not permitted from retail licensees to suppliers. [Written advice from the Maine Department of Public Safety, dated September 2008.]