14.1 Direct Sales and Shipments to Consumers Direct shipments of distilled spirits to Ohio consumers are not allowed. Refer to the OHIO OPEN Digest for information regarding the direct shipment of wine and beer directly to Ohio consumers. 14.2 Delivery by Retailers The holders of specified on-premises retail permits may sell, to-go or for delivery to the customer’s location, alcoholic beverages of the type authorized by the retailer’s license by the individual drink. The beverages must be packaged by the retailer in closed containers securely sealed with tamper-evident seals. Such sales may be made only to consumers over the age of twenty-one (21) years for their own personal consumption. All orders for alcoholic beverages to-go or for delivery must include[…]

Note: This section summarizes the temporary changes implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic that are of interest to interstate suppliers. The following regulatory relief measures have been announced by the Ohio Liquor Control Division: 17.7.1 Curbside Sales and Delivery Restaurants in Ohio were closed to on-premises consumption March 15, 2020. Liquor stores have remained open. Permit holders may sell beer, wine, and prepackaged mixed beverages in their original sealed containers for off-premises consumption in accordance with the privileges granted under their permit. They may also sell and deliver beer, wine, mixed beverages or spirituous liquor by the individual drink for off-premises consumption, as described below. Only state Contract Liquor Agencies have the ability to sell high-proof spirituous liquor in their[…]

Currently there are five (5) sizes sold in Ohio: 375 ml, 750 ml, 1 liter, 1.75 liter, and sleeves of miniatures. Note: The Division may sell distilled spirits in containers smaller than a pint (200 ml) only at retail and not for resale; except it may sell spirits at wholesale in 50 ml sealed containers to establishments licensed for on-premise consumption. [OH Law, Title XLIII, Chapter 4301, Section 4301.19.]

Combination packages or Value Added Packs (VAPs) may be permitted at the discretion of the Division of Liquor Control, under the following guidelines: Any potential packaging must be submitted for prior approval. Approval or disapproval of the package will be based on the quality of any premium item included, its relationship to the product it is packaged with, or alcoholic beverages in general, and the sales potential of the package. Alcoholic beverages may not be given away with the purchase of other merchandise or any other thing of value. However, an alcoholic beverage may be packaged with a nonalcoholic item without increasing the price of the alcoholic beverage. The Ohio Division of Liquor Control does not dictate what a supplier[…]

Distilled spirits (except for spirits mixed beverages with an alcohol content of not more than 21% ABV) are sold only through the state-controlled system. Ohio does not use the NABCA master coding system. The state assigns its own code numbers.

17.4.1 By Wholesalers No manufacturer or supplier shall accept the return of or repurchase any alcoholic beverage from an Ohio wholesaler, except for the following reasons: A supplier may replace product (but is not required to) with the same or similar product when the containers or labels have deteriorated or been damaged, or when a package or product is being discontinued by the manufacturer. Any alcoholic beverages being replaced must be replaced with product of comparable value. When the product itself has deteriorated, it may be replaced with the same or similar product. When the product is delivered in error it may be picked up within seven (7) days (not including Saturday or Sunday) of the date of delivery. 17.4.2[…]

16.10.1 Athletic Events or Tournaments Suppliers of wine, malt beverages, mixed drinks and distilled spirits may sponsor athletic events or tournaments with prior approval from the Liquor Control Commission. Additionally, suppliers may be a sponsor of an athletic event or tournament conducted by a charitable organization which is not a permit holder (other than a temporary permit) and which has received a letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) stating that the organization is exempt from federal income taxation pursuant to Subsection 501(a) and described in Subsection 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code. Suppliers also may sponsor non-athletic events conducted by non-profit or charitable organizations, which do not hold a permit other than a temporary permit. Suppliers may sponsor events, concerts,[…]